Wednesday, November 21, 2007

church 3

(from the archive - notice the shorts and t-shirts)
the romanian orthodox cathedral
it was built between 1894-1896 after a chapel was erected in 1876 . the picture actually shows the parochial house , the church is hidden in a courtyard because at that time the romanian population in the city didn’t have the right to build orthodox churches front at the street .
the church (second picture) is a copy of the greek orthodox church in vienna and as i said is hidden in the back between the houses .

4 comments:

Wayne said...

RO!
Neat shot. Oh and here I am gazing at this beautiful, venerable church, and what do I spy in the corner... KFC! That is almost too much. But fear not, it is a neat looking churhc and a fine picture. And yeah, dig those summer clothes!
Thanks,
Wayne

Anonymous said...

These last few pictures have been really beautiful.

Of course I'm biased, I prefer Sibiu :) (and will get my act together soon to start the blog). But I must try to get back to Brasov some time - I was last there in 1994! It's been too long.

Jim Klenke said...

Another great photo.

Gwen said...

Seems a little Byzantine attributes (?not certain) in the religious figure medallion over the third floor windows. What an interesting choice of silver metal or silver material for the dome.